How to lower SHBG? This is one question that many people have confusions related to it. But in this article, I am going to discuss every single thing you need to know about shbg and how its levels affect your body. SHBG stands for sex hormone-binding globulin, and not many websites provide in-depth information regarding this topic. Many people have the idea that sex hormone-binding globulin is a type of testosterone. So, the higher the level, the better is the situation. But that is not the case. I want to know how? Let’s find out the answer to how to lower SHBG.
Firstly, what is SHBG?
Unlike what people actually think, shbg isn’t testosterone. It is instead a type of protein. But why do people always group it in with testosterone? It’s because SHBG levels are usually diagnosed at testosterone Labs, and the protein attaches to the testosterone molecules. Although it is said that SHBG is harmful, it also provides an essential function.
The primary purpose of sex hormone-binding globulin is to help the testosterone and other hormones transport around the body. Without the presence of SHBG, our bodies will tend to use up the excess. Hence the new testosterone that is produced will not be able to reach its destination and give us its benefits.
When sex hormone-binding globulin binds itself to testosterone, it totally restraints the entire testosterone molecule. Basically, it binds to the testosterone molecule and makes it completely unavailable. How to lower shbg and increase free testosterone levels in the body? You will find out the answer soon enough.
Symptoms of high SHBG levels
Here are some common signs that can show an elevation of SHBG in the body-
- low energy levels and fatigue
- no morning erections
- loss of body hair
- decreased zest for life
- very low libido
- difficulties in gaining muscle
- difficulty in losing weight
- Gynecomastia or man breasts.
It is almost impossible to know the exact SHBG levels in the body without getting a blood test done. However, if you notice any of the above signs and symptoms, it is better to get yourself checked as soon as possible.
SHBG levels in men and women
The normal SHBG levels in females are 18 to 144 nanomoles per liter, and it is 10 to 57 nanomoles per liter. The SHBG levels in a male are typically lower than in women. But as a man ages, the level usually increases, and his testosterone levels drop. Often pregnancy in women increases their SHBG levels.
How to increase shbg in females?
There are a few solutions to the question- how to increase shbg in females naturally. Firstly, studies have shown that regular exercise helps to increase the levels of shbg. Additionally, drinking two or more cups of regular coffee a day can also increase the concentration of shbg in the body. There are also some other methods like-
- Consuming some oral contraceptives.
- Increasing the fiber in sugar intake in the diet.
- Losing weight.
- Intaking particular supplements.
How to lower shbg?
The two major causes that can lead to elevated shbg levels are hyperthyroidism and liver disease. It is always better to consult your physician first as they are many other common diseases that can lead to high shbg levels too. Here are some strategies that you can use to get your shbg levels down.
- Maintaining organic weight is one of the methods. Studies show that a lower body fat percentage increases testosterone levels. However, losing weight can also increase shbg levels in the body.
- If you want a faster method, you can definitely try Boron supplements. Research has proved that Boron has the capacity to lower the shbg level only within 6 hours of consuming it. It also increases free testosterone up to 28%.
- Shbg levels are apparently inversely related to the intake of protein. So if you intake a higher amount of protein, the shbg levels can go down.
- It is a known fact that alcohol is not beneficial for testosterone levels. But what does it do to the shbg level? Well, the shbg level in alcoholics is 17% higher than non-alcoholics.
- It is also essential to consider your medications to check how they affect the shbg level in the body. Some drugs directly increased the level of shbg in the body like metformin, spironolactone, oral contraceptives, etc. Drugs like glucocorticoids, progestins, subcutaneous insulin, etc. suppress the levels.
- Reducing the intake of caffeine can also lower the level of shbg.
- Consuming fish oil containing EPA and DHA can lower the level of shbg.
- Supplements containing vitamin D and increase testosterone level and lower shbg level.
- Increasing the calorie intake and decreasing excess fiber intake can reduce the level of shbg in the body.
Another general question is- does dhea lower shbg levels in the body? Studies have shown that if you had a daily dose of 50 milligrams dhea, it could significantly increase the total testosterone levels.
Till now, we have almost discussed all the options available for the question- how to lower shbg. When none of the methods work, testosterone replacement therapy has proved to be an efficient method to lower the levels of shbg in the body. The bottom line is we need to reduce the shbg levels in the body to increase the free testosterone amount. You can also consider the option of injections to lower the level of shbg. Ultimately you just have to know that the entire process takes time. And it is exceptionally essential to be patient during this.